World-class center of excellence that continuously betters the lives of people at local and global levels
Play a pivotal role in building a solid foundation of research and higher education in informatics, applied mathematics, and AI; conduct high-quality research; build an innovation ecosystem and contribute towards democratizing AI globally.
The world is in an exciting time where the application of informatics and mathematics is changing how we live and interact. Things considered science fiction until recently are fast approaching to be present-day reality. The advent of artificial intelligence (AI) is partly responsible for the change that has impacted diverse walks of life – from agriculture to healthcare to governance to fundamental research. Unlike in the past, the current technological advancement, often dubbed as the 4th industrial revolution, not only has the potential to benefit low and middle-income countries (LMICs) in a way never imagined before but also is likely to benefit from researchers in LMICs.
For these revolutionary technologies to be decentralized, there should be thriving research, innovation, and higher education ecosystems in low and middle-income countries (LMICs). Researchers from those countries with first-hand experience of global challenges must produce experts and innovators that can contribute to the worldwide platform by putting forward their perspectives, approaches, and agendas and solving local and international challenges.
NAAMII is a private, profit-non-distributing research organization created by Nepali researchers with the mission of building a solid foundation of scientific research in Nepal in informatics, applied maths, and AI and contributing towards democratizing and decentralizing AI in the world.
Doing science and technology research in low-income countries such as Nepal is challenging- inadequate funding, experts in diverse fields, and a lack of policy and infrastructure. Therefore, we are taking a comprehensive approach to solve this complex web of systemic problems.
The focus is on doing quality scientific research and training young researchers, where we will create and attract a collaborative network of researchers and experts worldwide. To have a sustainable, high-quality research environment, we will support local industries to support innovation and generate revenue; we will work with government and educational institutions to enhance our higher education system, bringing research-friendly policy and funding; and we will run outreach programs to involve the whole society to prioritize research and innovation.
- Fundamental and applied research in computing sciences and mathematics to contribute significantly in the fields of health and medicine; agriculture; climate science; social science and governance; cyber-security.
- Translate research to products for the greater good of the society via strong collaboration with existing industry and via start-up spin-offs.
- Collaborate with existing educational institutions to produce world-class researchers in the field of computing sciences and applied mathematics.
- Provide opportunities for students to get involved in quality problem-focused research projects with close supervision from experts in the field.
- Collaborate strongly with national and international research and education institutions to solve challenging global problems that require multidisciplinary research.