Research Project Manager [Closed]
NAAMII is looking for a Research Project Manager responsible for the general administration of research projects; and oversee, plan, organize, and communicate the activities generated by those projects. The Research Project Manager will work with scientists, research staff, and operations staff; coordinating and supporting multidisciplinary teams, especially those involving different stakeholders in health domain including hospitals and doctors.
NAAMII is a leading research institute in Nepal working in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Applied Maths, Informatics and their applications in a broad range of fields related to society, such as healthcare. NAAMII’s vision is to be a world-class centre of excellence in Nepal that continuously betters people’s lives locally and globally. We aim to build strong research and higher education foundation in informatics, applied mathematics, and AI in Nepal. We have been conducting high-quality research, organizing the international Nepal Winter School in AI that has attracted participants from over 20 different countries, and supporting industries in Nepal and abroad with our scientific expertise. Our three main divisions Research, Education-Outreach, and Industry-Innovation are working towards building a vibrant research & innovation ecosystem in Nepal, and contributing to democratizing AI globally.
The Research Project Manager will oversee project management of existing projects and explore potential new projects and grants aligning with NAAMII’s vision and strategy. Research areas will mostly focus on AI and its application to Health, Agriculture, and Languages. The Research Project Manager will also need to liaise closely with NAAMII’s research and operations staff in Kathmandu, and with project partners, to perform their duties.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please upload your CV (with contact details for your referees), AND a covering letter via this form. We wish to appoint applicants as soon as possible, with the position being open until it gets filled. If you have any queries, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Duties & Responsibilities
• Oversee the delivery of major research, winter school and training workshop initiatives, ensuring they are managed to business requirements, specification, time and budget;
• Provide day-to-day high-level support to the Principal Investigator (PI), assisting in the implementation of robust programme management processes and protocols, in line with best practice, as well as deputising for the PI as appropriate;
• Deliver project events, such as research collaboration meetings, road-mapping workshops and seminars, and coordinate appropriate publicity, ensuring meeting minutes are taken and distributed;
• Routinely monitor all activities, review risks, issues and progress, taking actions as necessary to ensure minimum impact on program deadlines;
• Maintain up-to-date records that enable effective monitoring, control and evaluation of assigned program activities;
• Where opportunities arise, work with the relevant Institute’s teams to cost up research proposals and bids;
Operations and resources management
• Perform strategic project resources planning and financial analysis, including assisting in preparation of budgets, to include staffing and operational needs, as well as manage the payment of expenses;
• Coordinate the delivery of strong project governance, through supporting the management of advisory board meetings, as well as required scientific and other stakeholder workshops and summits, as needs arise;
• Where appropriate, organise the recruitment of assigned project research staff ensuring timely use of resources, including office space management; Communications and relationships management
• Communicate project information and status to all relevant parties, providing early warning and escalation of key issues to the PI and associated Institute senior management;
• Act as a primary contact point for all internal and external partners and ensure strong business relationship management;
• Work with the Institute’s communications and outreach team to develop powerful case studies, highlighting successful outputs and outcomes of the projects;
Minimum Qualifications & Essential Skills
• Bachelor’s Degree in either relevant scientific/engineering discipline or in management/development discipline with equivalent level of professional qualifications and/or experience;
• Exceptional project management and organisational skills combined with a strong attention to detail;
• Good analytical skills demonstrated by a structured and methodical approach;
• Ability to communicate effectively and clearly with a wide range of people and audiences at all levels;
• Diplomatic, able to negotiate and apply judgement in complex areas;
• Effective decision-making;
• Able to work on own initiative as well as proven team building and motivational skills;
• Managing multi-disciplinary research projects, involving external and internal partners;
• Creative and effective facilitation of meetings, workshops and conferences, including servicing committees with minute writing;
• Liaising with external bodies including industry, government and/or NGOs;
• Risk management;
• Production and analysis of statistics and reports;
• Translating research and policy requirements into a defined project;
• Experience of arranging events and meetings
• Microsoft Office environment, with strong skills in MS Excel.
Desirable Qualifications & Skills
• Postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject;
• Formal training in one or more project management processes (Scrum, Lean, Kanban, Prince II etc.);
• Financial management experience with use of relevant software;
• Previous experience in a similar role;
• Working knowledge and/or experience of administration in public sector environment;
Terms & Conditions
Salary will commensurate with experience. This is a full-time post (for part-time exception see below) to be held at the Institute’s site in Kathmandu. Occasional travel nationally and internationally may be required to deliver the role.
Part-time: For candidates with exceptional skills and strong experience for this job, the role could also be part-time, with another option of adding this role or collaborating with another person in this role (Partnership and Outreach Manager).
If you are interested in this opportunity, please upload your CV (with contact details for your referees), AND a covering letter via this form. We wish to appoint applicants as soon as possible, with the position being open until it gets filled.